He Won the Cake Decoration Contest
Brett’s school has a fair called Western Days, and part of the fun activities is a cake walk. The PTA always has a cake decorating contest to try to get a lot of bake goods donated to the school. Brett wanted to enter the contest this year, so he thought up doing a cowboy boot for it. This is 100% Brett making and decorating his cake. He was so excited about his first cake decorating cake contest, we dropped it off at school that morning, telling everyone to go look at it. All the teachers were impressed by him. By the time the fair had started that night he was chopping at the bit to know who won the contest. Finally they had announced the winner over the loud speakers and he won it. He was so happy, and of course it didn’t go to his head one bit.. haha..
Chocolate Butter Cake
- Butter 1 lb.
- Sugar 1 lb. 12 oz
- Salt .33oz
- Unsweetened chocolate 8oz Melted
- Egg 12oz
- Cake flour 1 lb 8 oz
- Baking powder 1 oz
- Milk 12 oz
- Vanilla 2 tsp
Creaming Method ~ Blend in the melted chocolate after the fat and sugar are well creamed
- Place the butter in the mixing bowl, beat slowly until the fat is smooth and creamy (like peanut butter)
- Add the sugar. Cream the mixture at moderate speed until the mixture is light and fluffy
- Add the eggs. A little at a time
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing
- Add the sifted dry ingredients, alternating with the liquids
- Add one-fourth of dry ingredients mix just until blended in.
- Add one-third of the liquid
Brett then frosted the cake with vanilla icing. I had per-cut a cowboy boot shape out of paper for him to use as a glide for making his boot. Brett traced the boot lightly with a tooth pick.
Brett piped the chocolate frosting to make the star on the boot, then filled in the outline of the boot with m&ms.
Took Twizzlers to out lined the shape of the boot.
Enjoy with your little cook at home, and keep their little hearts and mind open to all the little things in life..